Governor Malloy and the members of Connecticut’s Congressional delegation announced that the State of Connecticut is receiving a $6.6 million federal grant to help support the state’s goal of ending youth homelessness by 2020.
The award, which comes from the Department of Housing and Urban Development’s (HUD) Youth Homelessness Demonstration Program, will be utilized to create new and innovative housing with support service programs to serve youth experiencing homelessness. Connecticut was one of only ten communities in the country selected by HUD to receive this award out of over 130 applicants. The state received the largest allocation of any grantee under this program.
“Our unprecedented efforts to ensure housing for our most vulnerable populations include youths, who are at a particularly sensitive time in their lives when every choice they make may determine their future,” Governor Malloy said. “Ensuring housing for youths is a proactive step to ensure that our younger generations can lead productive, successful lives and become active members of our communities and our economy.”
“No child should ever be without a home. For youth experiencing homelessness, helping them often means more than just putting a roof over their head – it means addressing the full array of needs and challenges that each child is facing,” the members of the Congressional delegation said in a joint statement. “This major federal award – the largest of only ten nationwide – is an endorsement of the critically important work Connecticut is doing to end youth homelessness and ensure all children have the support and services they need to thrive. We will continue to work with the state, advocates and agencies to ensure Connecticut receives the federal support it needs to meet its goal to end youth homelessness by 2020.”
The state has already been making progress toward its goal of eliminating youth homelessness. In November, Governor Malloy announced a new supportive housing funding round for homeless youth, and in December he unveiled a new toolkit for students and faculty that raises awareness of youth homelessness and provides guidance on available resources.
Towards the end of January, the state will be undertaking its second statewide census of youth homelessness, known as the 2017 Youth Count, which will be conducted in conjunction with the Point in Time Count, an annual survey of homelessness across the state during which volunteers from all cities and towns go out into the community to find homeless men and women.
The data will be used in community planning efforts to build a support system to help the state reach its goals of ending youth homelessness. Unaccompanied youths under the age of 25 are considered youths experiencing homelessness. In 2015, more than 3,000 youths experiencing housing instability in the state were identified.
Connecticut residents interested in volunteering for the 2017 Youth Count can sign up on the website of the Connecticut Coalition to End Homelessness.
Malloy announced that with the state’s unprecedented housing efforts over the last several years, the State of Connecticut reached new record levels and is able to connect every chronically homeless person in the state with permanent housing.
In recent years, Connecticut became the first state in the nation certified by the federal government as ending chronic homelessness among veterans, and the second state in the nation certified by the federal government as effectively ending homelessness among all veterans.
Latest Stories From Roundup Partner : FOX 61
DALLAS — A man has been arrested in connection with a shooting that left two Dallas police officers critically wounded, Chief Reneé Hall said. Police had launched a manhunt for Armando Luis Juárez, 29, earlier on Tuesday. Juárez was arrested Tuesday night following a brief chase. He is facing multiple counts of aggravated assault to a police officer, Hall told reporters. The incident began Tuesday afternoon when an off-duty officer at the Home Depot called to request backup officers for […]
TOLLAND — One person was seriously injured in a crash Tuesday night in Tolland. Crews were called to Sugar Hill Road around 11 p.m. for a car that crashed into a tree. The person in the car was taken to St. Francis Hospital by LifeStar. The road was closed for the investigation, but has since reopened. MVA UPDATE: Extrication took approximately 30 minutes to complete. Patient was transported by @LIFESTAR_CT to… twitter.com/i/web/status/9…— Tolland Alert (@TollandAlert) April 25, 2018
The CEO who wants to save Toys “R” Us is not giving up. Isaac Larian, the billionaire toy executive behind Bratz dolls and Little Tikes toys, said he is still hopeful he can save 274 US-based Toys “R” Us stores, even though his initial $675 million bid for those stores was not accepted. He’s dropping his bid for Toys “R” Us Canada after being outbid, and will now concentrate on trying to sweeten his play for the US stores. “We […]
BOSTON — Al Horford has been the Celtics’ quiet leader this postseason, and Marcus Smart might be the kindling Boston was missing in back-to-back losses in Milwaukee. The duo was reunited for Game 5, and together, they helped put the Celtics on the verge of closing out their first-round series. Horford had 22 points and 14 rebounds, Smart made an impact in his first game since mid-March and Boston beat the Bucks 92-87 on Tuesday night for a 3-2 […]