Governor Malloy released the following statement regarding his intention to attend the presidential inauguration in Washington, DC on January 20, 2017:
“I’ve given much consideration to the question of whether I will attend the presidential inauguration. While my first inclination was to decline, I’ve decided to accept the invitation. This is why:
“President-Elect Trump was not the preferred candidate of either myself or the majority of Connecticut voters. His conduct during this transition has not assuaged my grave concern that he intends to fundamentally lead this nation in the wrong direction.
However, I don’t believe this is the time for compassionate and reasoned voices to shrink away – be they Democrat, Republican, or independent. In fact, the presence of fair-minded people is now more important than ever.
In the wake of this election and in opposition to many of the President-Elect’s recent actions, we are called upon to stand up, dust ourselves off, to be seen, and to be heard. We should be represented at the inauguration as a signal that we are not going away, and that we are resolved to continue fighting for fairness, equality, and decency.
“For these reasons, I plan to attend the inauguration ceremony and witness the peaceful transference of power from one president to the next – a cornerstone of our democracy. I understand some may choose differently, and I respect their choice.”
Latest Stories From Roundup Partner : FOX 61
DALLAS — A man has been arrested in connection with a shooting that left two Dallas police officers critically wounded, Chief Reneé Hall said. Police had launched a manhunt for Armando Luis Juárez, 29, earlier on Tuesday. Juárez was arrested Tuesday night following a brief chase. He is facing multiple counts of aggravated assault to a police officer, Hall told reporters. The incident began Tuesday afternoon when an off-duty officer at the Home Depot called to request backup officers for […]
TOLLAND — One person was seriously injured in a crash Tuesday night in Tolland. Crews were called to Sugar Hill Road around 11 p.m. for a car that crashed into a tree. The person in the car was taken to St. Francis Hospital by LifeStar. The road was closed for the investigation, but has since reopened. MVA UPDATE: Extrication took approximately 30 minutes to complete. Patient was transported by @LIFESTAR_CT to… twitter.com/i/web/status/9…— Tolland Alert (@TollandAlert) April 25, 2018
The CEO who wants to save Toys “R” Us is not giving up. Isaac Larian, the billionaire toy executive behind Bratz dolls and Little Tikes toys, said he is still hopeful he can save 274 US-based Toys “R” Us stores, even though his initial $675 million bid for those stores was not accepted. He’s dropping his bid for Toys “R” Us Canada after being outbid, and will now concentrate on trying to sweeten his play for the US stores. “We […]
BOSTON — Al Horford has been the Celtics’ quiet leader this postseason, and Marcus Smart might be the kindling Boston was missing in back-to-back losses in Milwaukee. The duo was reunited for Game 5, and together, they helped put the Celtics on the verge of closing out their first-round series. Horford had 22 points and 14 rebounds, Smart made an impact in his first game since mid-March and Boston beat the Bucks 92-87 on Tuesday night for a 3-2 […]