As much as I hate to admit it, I’ve always been a terrible procrastinator. Christmas is no exception.
Year after year I find myself scrambling at the last minute searching high and low for the perfect gift.
Usually, without fail, I end up settling on something mediocre — such as a gift cards.
As much as I curse myself for waiting so long — and vow to never let it happen again — I always find myself repeating the same tragic mistake over and over.
And I know I’m not alone.
To help avoid feeling forced to hand out cash and gift cards as a last resort, I’ve done my research and found 10 unique and different last-minute gift ideas that are sure to turn a few heads.
1. Subscription services. Whether the person you’re shopping for is a pet lover or a jewelry lover, there’s a subscription service for everyone. For a monthly fee, subscription holders can enjoy everything from jewelry and clothing rental to pet toys and beauty product samples.
2. Custom calendar. In a society that loves to take pictures, why not capture the moment with a customized calendar? Simply log onto your favorite photo sharing website — Shutterfly or Amazon PRIME for example — and create a gift that will last a lifetime…or at least the next year.
3. Lottery ticket scratch offs. If you’re looking for something simple yet entertaining, consider gifting lottery ticket scratch offs. If friends and family are of legal age, lottery scratch offs are a great way to put a unique spin on giving cash for Christmas.
4. Netflix gift card. A newer option in the last few years, give the gift of binge-watching with a Netflix gift card. Members can use it to pay their bill and non-members can start a new subscription.
5. Mini succulents. In my opinion, mini succulents are a great idea for coworkers or an acquaintance you may not know as well. Succulents, which are thick-leaved ornamental plants, can grow even in dry conditions and require little active maintenance.
6. Monthly flower delivery. Similar to other subscription services, you can send your sweetheart a monthly bouquet of flowers for a fee. With this gift, every month will seem like a special occasion. Check out Bloomsy Box for more details.
7. 100 Books Scratch Off Poster. For your favorite bookworm, consider the 100 books scratch off poster from Uncommongoods.com. He or she can read through 100 of the greatest works while scratching off each title to reveal its infamous artwork.
8. Spa gift card. What better gift can you give than the gift of relaxation? Treat your honey to an afternoon of his or her favorite spa treatments. It’s sure to be well received.
9. Home wine delivery. For the wine-lover in your life, check out Winc Wine Delivery. To start, you answer a series of questions for the person you’re buying for and the delivery service then matches up your mate’s preferences with the perfect selection of wines. The selected bottles will then be shipped right to their doorstep.
10. Donations in your recipient’s name. For the philanthropist in your group, consider a donation to the charity of their choice. Simply log onto Heifer International to send an eGift card, which allows the receiver to choose from a wide range of charities.
Do you have any unique last-minute gift ideas? Share them in the comments below.
The Roundup currently has over 5,700 subscriptions and a local social media following of over 95,000 readers across multiple social media sites, apps, pages, and groups.
The Roundup is also a proud member of WordPress. This affiliation offers readers more news from FOX 61 and CBS Connecticut on The Roundup.
Latest Stories From Roundup Partner : FOX 61
A high school student mixed her cremated grandfather’s ashes into homemade sugar cookies and shared them with several classmates, police in Northern California said Wednesday. The student and a friend baked the cookies and shared them with at least nine classmates at their public charter high school near Sacramento on Oct. 4, said Davis Police Lt. Paul Doroshov. He said the Da Vinci Charter Academy students told some of their classmates that the cookies contained human ashes. He said investigators […]
NEW BRITAIN — FOX61 hosted a debate Wednesday with the candidates for the hotly contested 5th Congressional District. Democrat Jahana Hayes and Republican Manny Santos fielded questions on topics like education, the economy, the environment and gay marriage. It was a tale of two candidates. Hayes — the progressive Democrat and Santos — the conservative Republican. They are both vying for the seat currently held by Elizabeth Esty, who is not running for re-election. The fiery debate at CCSU that […]
MILFORD — Milford police received a complaint from a teenage girl and her mother on Monday that a worker at the Milford Boys and Girls village exposed himself to at least two 14-year-old girls. “At this stage of the investigation looks like there is some inappropriate touching and actually some indecent exposure those are the charges we’re looking at,” said officer Mike Devito of the Milford Police department. Dr. Steven Kant, CEO and president of the Boys and Girls Village […]
NEW HAVEN — New statistics released from the Connecticut Department of Public Health shows the use of e-cigarettes among teens has skyrocketed. Some said these numbers sound an alarm for state and school leaders. Wednesday, students from Wilbur Cross High School joined in on the conversation and expressed what they believe is fueling this trend. “I know a couple of people who smoke,” said Nina Laverty, a freshman at the high school. According to the survey, one in 10 high […]