Advertisements

Gov. Malloy Announces $10 Million to Enhance Security at 182 Schools

Governor Malloy

Governor Dannel P. Malloy announced that the State of Connecticut has approved an additional round grants totaling $10 million that will be used to enhance security infrastructure at 182 public and private schools in 51 towns and cities across the state.

The funds were approved under the School Security Grant Program that was created in 2013 as part of a broad legislative package signed into law by the Governor focusing on gun violence prevention, mental health, and school security issues.

To date under this program, the state has made $53 million available to over 1,200 schools in three separate rounds of funding.  The program is administered by the Connecticut Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection (DESPP) and utilizes state bond funding to reimburse municipalities for a portion of the costs associated with the improvements.

“We have a moral obligation to provide a safe learning environment for our students,” Governor Malloy said.  “This most recent round of funding we are announcing today will provide critical resources that allow communities to modernize their school security infrastructure and provide an enhanced level of safety for both students and faculty.”

“Improving school safety is an ongoing effort, one that requires continued commitment and collaboration between all levels of government and our educators,” Lt. Governor Nancy Wyman said.  “These funds will help Connecticut communities keep students and teachers safe, strengthen our schools, and improve response in the event of a crisis.”

“Public safety will always be a core function of our government, especially when it comes to our children’s safety and wellbeing,” DESPP Commissioner Dora Schriro said.  “Under Governor Malloy’s leadership and support, this critical grant program will continue to strengthen our schools by enhancing the security of students and faculty and making our educational systems more resilient statewide.”

“All of our schools need to be safe and secure while still maintaining a positive, welcoming, and nurturing educational environment in which young people can learn, grow, and prepare for the next stage of their lives,” State Department of Education Commissioner Dianna Wentzell said.

For the list of towns and cities receiving grants under this third round announced today, click here.

Advertisements

The Roundup is a popular weekly magazine covering central Connecticut news, Statewide news, National news, local events, commentary, and more.

 

The Roundup currently has over 5,700 subscriptions and a local social media following of over 95,000 readers across multiple social media sites, apps, pages, and groups.

 

The Roundup is also a proud member of WordPress. This affiliation offers readers more news from FOX 61 and CBS Connecticut on The Roundup.

Latest Stories From Roundup Partner : FOX 61

Sandy Hook shooter’s belongings ordered released

Sandy Hook shooter’s belongings ordered released

HARTFORD — The Connecticut Supreme Court said state police must release disturbing writings and other belongings of the Newtown school shooter to the public because they are not exempt from state open record laws. The court ruled 5-0 Tuesday in favor of The Hartford Courant and state Freedom of Information Commission, whose order to police to release shooter Adam Lanza’s belongings was overturned by a lower court judge. It wasn’t immediately clear when the items will be released. The 20-year-old […]

Volunteers gather in Wisconsin to search for missing girl

Volunteers gather in Wisconsin to search for missing girl

BARRON, Wis. — Volunteers are streaming into a staging area in western Wisconsin to assist in an expanded ground search for a missing teen whose parents were gunned down in their home last week. Barron County Sheriff Chris Fitzgerald is hoping 2,000 people will take part in Tuesday’s grid search for 13-year-old Jayme Closs. Searchers are gathering at a staging area known as Hungry Hollow Grounds. Jayme has been missing since deputies responding to a 911 call on Oct. 15 […]

16-year-old kid dethrones 7-time world Tetris champ

16-year-old kid dethrones 7-time world Tetris champ

A California 16-year-old is the new world champion of Tetris. Joseph Saelee beat Jonas Neubauer in the Classic Tetris World Championship grand final Sunday night in Oregon; a definite stunner, per Kotaku, considering Neubauer, a 37-year-old taproom manager, has come out on top seven times in the eight years the tournament has been held. Saelee, on the other hand, just started playing after watching the 2016 championships, he tells the BBC. And yes, he plays the iconic video game on an original 1985 […]

Recipe: Buffalo Cauliflower Bites

Recipe: Buffalo Cauliflower Bites

RECIPE: BUFFALO CAUKIFLOWER BITES: 1 Head of Cauliflower 1/2 cup melted butter 1/2 cup favorite hot sauce(they use cholula) 2 tbsp white vinegar Pinch of garlic salt 2 tsps Worcester

Comments

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.