Roundup Recipes is a new weekly look at recipes from our local viewers. The feature will be completely reader submitted. Everyone loves food and Millions take pride in it from a family of one to a large family of craziness. Roundup Recipes will give local people the opportunity to share their family favorites with readers of the Roundup. You can send your recipes to be considered here. Please send a picture to email@example.com. Your name and the recipe name will be given full credit.
Jean M. from Bristol said “Because Christmas is right around the corner, I thought sharing this oldie-but-goodie – my lightened up Shepherd’s Pie, filled with lean ground beef, veggies, and topped with my skinny yukon gold mashed potatoes would be perfect for all you meat and potato lovers out there! This is so comforting and filling, it doesn’t taste light!”
- 1-1/2 lbs Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled, diced
- 3/4 cup fat free chicken broth
- 2 tbsp reduced fat sour cream
- salt and pepper
- 1 lb 95% lean ground beef
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 8 oz mushrooms, diced
- 10 oz frozen mixed vegetables (carrots, corn, peas, green beans, baby lima beans)
- 2 tbsp flour (or use GF flour)
- 1 cup fat free beef broth
- 2 tsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp freshly chopped rosemary leaves
- 1 tsp freshly chopped thyme leaves
- kosher salt and pepper
- Boil potatoes in a medium pot of salted water until cooked and soft.
- Drain and mash with chicken broth, sour cream, 1/2 tsp salt and pepper, set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a large saute pan brown meat over medium high heat, breaking the meat up with a wooden spoon as it cooks. Season with 1/2 tsp salt and pepper to taste.
- When cooked, set aside on a plate.
- Add the oil, onion, garlic, mushrooms and celery and sauté on medium heat about 6 to 8 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the flour, frozen vegetables, beef broth, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, rosemary, thyme, cooked meat and mix well. Simmer on low about 8-10 minutes.
- Spread the meat on the bottom of casserole dish. Top with mashed potatoes and sprinkle with paprika
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes, then place under the broiler 1 to 2 minutes until the potatoes turn golden.
- Remove from oven and let it cool 5 minutes before serving.
The Roundup currently has over 5,700 subscriptions and a local social media following of over 95,000 readers across multiple social media sites, apps, pages, and groups.
The Roundup is also a proud member of WordPress. This affiliation offers readers more news from FOX 61 and CBS Connecticut on The Roundup.
Latest Stories From Roundup Partner : FOX 61
It’s the stuff of childhood dreams. As the sun begins to break through the darkness in Laos’ Nam Kan National Park, the cries of wild, black-crested gibbons echo through the jungle air. Crawling out of our mosquito-net covered beds, perched high in wooden treehouses that tower over the jungle floor, we grab our binoculars for a closer look as these lively animals leap through the trees in the distance, the leaves around them shaking wildly as the branches bounce up […]
The Asian longhorned tick most likely began invading the United States years ago. Now found in nine states, the tick may soon occupy a large swath of eastern North America as well as coastal regions of the Pacific Northwest, according to research published Thursday in the Journal of Medical Entomology. “This tick can bite humans, pets, farm animals and wildlife,” said Ilia Rochlin, author of the study and an entomologist and researcher associated with the Rutgers University Center for Vector Biology. Until recently, this […]
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. — Bruising halfback Derrick Henry had his second straight big game with a career-high 33 carries for 170 yards rushing and two touchdowns. The Tennessee Titans kept their late-season playoff push alive and ended the New York Giants‘ postseason hopes with a 17-0 victory on Sunday. Henry, who had a franchise-record 238 yards and four touchdowns in a win over Jacksonville on Dec. 6, scored on 1-yard runs in the first and third quarters. That was all […]
CROMWELL — I-91 southbound at exit 21 was closed following a serious crash Sunday afternoon. Police said the crash is being investigated and to please use alternative routes. It is unclear how many people or cars were involved in the crash. #CTtraffic Interstate 91 Southbound at Exit 21, in the town of Cromwell is closed while troopers investigate a motor vehicle accident. Use alternate routes. — CT State Police (@CT_STATE_POLICE) December 16, 2018